What data we collect and how we collect it
When you first get in touch with us – whether by email, phone, our web site contact form, or via social media – we will collect your names, a phone number, an email address, and the date and location of your wedding.
Should you not proceed to making a booking with us, all this data will be deleted by no later than the date of your wedding.
You will not be added to any form of ‘mailing list.’ We will use your contact details only to contact you personally in relation to your own wedding.
If you proceed to booking us for your wedding photography, we will require a postal address to send you written confirmation.
As we approach the wedding we will need to collect the names of family members and others closely involved in your wedding, emergency contact phone numbers, and the addresses of all locations being used on your wedding day. These are collected in writing via our Wedding Information Form. You will complete this form either on paper or via email. If provided via email we will print out the Form in order to have all the necessary information immediately to hand on the wedding day.
Most payments to us are made via online banking, in which case we never see any of your financial information. Should you choose to make payments by cheque, the account information visible on your cheques is NEVER recorded or stored by us.
How we store and secure your data
All the data we collect in relation to you and your wedding is stored in a private calendaring and contact management database. This database is accessed via password-protected desktop computers in our home (which is always locked at night or during our absence); and via password-protected mobile devices. All data is backed up to avoid loss, both on site and in a Cloud-based system.
We NEVER sell or provide any part of your data to any other company.
How you can access or correct your data
At any time you can check and confirm or correct the data we hold on you by contacting us via phone, email or in writing. We do ask that you inform us should you have a change of address or phone numbers.
How we use your data
We will use your personal data only to stay in contact with you, and to fulfil our purpose of attending and photographing your wedding.
How we use photographs
Photographs are data; once we have photographed your pre-wedding shoot or wedding day we will hold and store this data on at least two separate hard-drives (to protect against system failure) in our secure premises. Your completed wedding gallery is stored on-line by a third party called Zenfolio. Zenfolio is GDPR compliant. You have the option to make this gallery password protected. Your data is transferred to Zenfolio via a secure transfer system.
We may use wedding photographs in any of the following ways:
- to create a post about your wedding on our company Facebook page;
- to write a blog post on our company blog;
- to provide other suppliers with photographs of their work or service, should they so request (including for example your florist, dress boutique, hair stylist, or venue);
- to promote our work, via for example our web site portfolio, a leaflet, or a studio sample.
We will ask you to specifically consent to these when you sign our Photography Agreement on booking, so here’s a bit more information about each (you may withdraw this consent at any time):
- We generally try to put up a ‘sneak peak’ of the wedding on our Facebook page, usually within a day or two of the wedding. Sneak peaks contain around 20 photos. Naturally we’re doing this to keep frequent new content on our page, but also couples really like it! Because all your family and friends are taking phone snaps all day, posting them online by the next morning if not before, it’s nice for you to have some ‘good’ photos online as well as all the rest you’ll get tagged in!
- Later after all the photos are edited we might make a blog post on our actual web site. A blog post will have 80-100 photos, and is a really handy link for you to share with friends. It gives them a good look at your wedding highlights without having to slog through the entire gallery which could have 600 or 700+ photos!
- We often get asked by other suppliers if they can use photos we took of their work, usually for their own social media or web site portfolio. The most common requests are from florists, hair-and-makeup ladies, and bands. Less often it might be a venue or a car owner, and very occasionally a dress boutique. Quite often the particular images suppliers ask for don’t have identifiable people in them, but not always. Generally we provide small digital downloads to suppliers, with no printing or reproduction rights. If your suppliers should ask you for photos, please put them in touch with us.
- Of course we also need to use photos for our own portfolio! We’ll regularly update the Portfolio section or some other area of our website with one or two pictures from a new wedding, or choose images from a recent wedding to illustrate a leaflet or business card.
Occasionally we are asked to provide photographs to a wedding blog or web site. We will ALWAYS ask your permission for this. The owners of such web sites will usually want to contact you themselves – we will always ask your permission before giving them any of your personal contact details.
How long we retain your data
We will retain your personal contact details and wedding information for as long as we need to after the wedding in order to fully complete the services we are providing you. You may request that personal contact details and wedding information be deleted by contacting us at any time after the completion of all services.
We retain your photographs on secure hard drives so that we can create albums or products for you whenever you may request them.
We aim to retain photographs for at least ten years, as we have had requests for albums after this long!